If you're having trouble connecting to either TightVNC or Touchpad Media Server, it's very likely that it's a firewall issue. If that doesn't do it, you need to make sure that your device is on the same network as your PC -- for instance, if your PC is connected to your DSL connection, but your iPhone is on your neighbor's wifi, most likely none of this will work.
Configuring the Firewall
This sounds scarier than it is :) Just follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Start Menu, and click on Control Panel
- In Control Panel, click on Network and Internet Connections:
- Then, click on Change Windows Firewall Settings:
- Now check to see if your firewall is on. If the firewall is off, STOP here -- you don't need to change anything. However, if it's on, then you need to keep reading.
- Make sure the exceptions button is not checked:
- Next click on the Exceptions tab at the top:
- In the Exceptions view, click on the Add Port button:
- Set the name to "VNC Server", and set the port to 5900. Press OK.
- Click on Add Port again. This time, set the name to "Touchpad Media Server", and set the port to 6000. Press OK.
- Click OK on the Windows Firewall page and pat yourself on the back -- you just configured the firewall settings to allow TightVNC and Touchpad Media Server to work with your firewall. Remember, if your firewall was off to begin with, you don't need to do any of this.